[darcs-users] post-hoc move

Hamish Allan hamish at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:16:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

Is there any way to persuade darcs that a unix mv I'm already
performed is a move rather than a remove?

Currently I have:

$ darcs wh -l
R ./Resources/Adobe PDF Reference.pdf
a ./Resources/pdf/Adobe PDF Reference.pdf

I've forgotten to use 'darcs move' to change the location of this PDF
file, and just done it with unix mv instead.
So I try the following:

$ mv Resources/pdf/Adobe\ PDF\ Reference.pdf Resources
$ darcs wh -l
R ./Resources/Adobe PDF Reference.pdf
a ./Resources/Adobe PDF Reference.pdf

Hmmm. Darcs appears to have lost track of this file!

$ darcs add Resources/pdf
$ darcs mv Resources/Adobe\ PDF\ Reference.pdf Resources/pdf/Adobe\
PDF\ Reference.pdf

darcs failed:  There is no file or dir named Resources/About
Stacks.pdf in the repository.

Now I'm not sure that even if I darcs add it and darcs move it, I'll
even have gained anything over the original status quo.

Surely a post-hoc move must be an extremely common operation? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Hamish