[darcs-users] post-hoc move

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Jul 31 06:05:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009, Hamish Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn<zooko at zooko.com>
wrote:

> > I'm not sure about your idea of "darcs mv" figuring out that the file had
> > already been mv'ed.  That sounds like the kind of thing that sometimes
leads
> > me to further confusion because it is "too clever" and it becomes hard for
> > me to figure out what the tool may or may not have done.
>
> Personally, I don't think "darcs move" should do the actual physical
> move at all. "darcs add" doesn't physically create a file; "darcs
> remove" doesn't physically delete one. Likewise, "darcs move" should
> simply mean "change your concept of what this file is called".

I disagree. From a usability point of view, this would be a regression, as it
would always require me to type 2 commands to do the operation. Of course with
add it doesn't add the file because it cannot create one out of thin air. You
have to create the file somehow before you can actually add it to darcs. With
remove it doesn't remove it because that's the semantics: to remove the file
from darcs control but keep it around on disk. If I want to get rid of it
entirely I just remove it on the filesystem. Currently all these operations
can be done in 1 step (except file creation for add, but I do not expect add
to create and populate a file as well anyway).

--
Dan