[darcs-users] Interop with Darcs

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Jun 3 15:55:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Artyom Shalkhakov  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to write a web interface for Darcs (one that isn't pain to use).
>>
>> AFAIK there are two ways to interoperate with Darcs:
>> - invoke it on the command line, with optional XML output (hey,
>> where's the schema?)
>> - make use of Haskell modules exported by Darcs
>>
>> Is there a nicer way?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Artyom Shalkhakov.
>
> There isn't any schema I know of. You really just have to parse it
> kind of ad-hoc. Like in my Filestore code abstracting over darcs
> (maybe you could use it), I just looked at the XML generating code in
> darcs to see that the output is pretty much fixed - when you've seen
> the nodes for one change from --xml-output, you've seen'em all.
>
> - --
> gwern

I've been consuming the XML output for a while and it has been
remarkably stable. Of course, I've also tried my best to act as a
proponent for XML stability the few times that changes that may impact
it show up on this list.

At this point, I have a very nice wrapper around most of darcs' XML
output in Python if you are interested.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/