[darcs-users] Interop with Darcs

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Jun 4 04:43:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Artyom Shalkhakov <
artyom.shalkhakov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2009/6/3 Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>:
> > There isn't any schema I know of. You really just have to parse it
> > kind of ad-hoc. Like in my Filestore code abstracting over darcs
> > (maybe you could use it), I just looked at the XML generating code in
> > darcs to see that the output is pretty much fixed - when you've seen
> > the nodes for one change from --xml-output, you've seen'em all.
>
> I've skimmed through Filestore, and it seems like a good solution for now.
>
> What I am confused about though is the absence of schema... How come
> proponents of static typing provide untyped data?

I fully agree with you.  I think the code to generate the xml output should
probably be generated from a schema and then used inside darcs.  This
could/should allow us and others to leverage the host languages's type
checking to make sure schema usage is more or less correct.

Is this something you'd be interesting in helping with?  I doubt anyone
would turn away patches to add a schema and an effort to make darcs enforce
it.

Thanks,
Jason