[darcs-users] changes -s codes

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Jun 4 18:43:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Kari Hoijarvi <hoijarvi at seas.wustl.edu>wrote:

> Wow. This is total news to me, and it has potential breaking
> TortoiseDarcs2.
>
> Since which version have codes like 'M!' been supported? I'm using 2.2.1

I seem to recall seeing '!' prior to darcs 2.0.  But, surprises like this
are never fun.

> in my test repository: darcs whatsnew -s --look-for-adds
>
> ./original file.txt -> ./renamed file.txt
> A ./added file.txt
> M ./conflict file.txt +5
> A ./last added.txt
> M ./modified file.txt +1
> M ./replaced file.txt r1
> M ./sub dir/sub file.txt +1
> M ./sub dir/sub sub dir/sub sub file.txt +1
> R ./to_be_deleted.txt
> A ./uncommitted folder/
> A ./uncommitted folder/uncommitted file.txt
> a ./ignored.txt
> a ./sub dir ignored/
> a ./sub dir ignored/sub file ignored.txt
>
> There's no '!' anywhere that I have ever seen.
>
> The line 'M ./conflict file.txt +5' results into conflict status, but only
> because I scan the file myself. I'd like to get this stuff from darcs.
>
> This is the reason I really like XML. It's much easier to add more
> information to the status line without breaking custom parsers. And file
> name encoding would be easier too. I bet TD2 will not survive hard-core
> unicode users.

Darcs offers XML output for many (most?) commands.  But, I assume you're
mentioning it because the command you want to use doesn't provide xml?  I
never can remember where darcs supports XML and where it doesn't.

But, more than just XML, you could link against the darcs source these days.
 I assume TortoiseDarcs is in C or C++.  All someone needs to do is make an
FFI wrapper around the Haskell code to expose it to C, then you can just
call libHSdarcs as if it were part of Tortoise.  Okay, there are a few other
details, but that's the gist of it.

Which route would you prefer?  Calling libdarcs or reading xml?

Cheers,
Jason