[darcs-users] Interop with Darcs

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 04:44:08 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> That's metadata, and not file contents, but it seems relevant because
> we also print metadata in XML.

It's precisely the metadata that I was referring to in my upthread
griping.  IMO, it can and should be stored as UTF-8 by Darcs, regardless
of the user's current locale.  To do this, Darcs needs to convert from
the user's locale to UTF-8 when reading data in, and back to the locale
when printing it -- except when --xml is used, in which case it stays
UTF-8.

I'm far less concerned about representing file contents in darcs changes
--verbose --xml, because file contents are bytes (not text) and we can
only escape them in some fashion -- be it base64, quoted-printable, or
something else.