[darcs-users] Hashed GHC (and dependencies) repositories

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Jun 10 09:25:41 UTC 2009

Hi Matthias,

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:12:24 +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> I converted my mirrored GHC repositories to hashed format (using
> darcs-2.2.0) recently. May be useful for anyone who want's to try
> it out without having to convert it by himself (the latter is really
> painful, since it's slow and eats up lots of memory).

[snip]

> BTW: the time for darcs get with a hashed repository is amazing
> (6m18s for both ghc and ghc-6.10 including all dependencies listed
> in ghc/packages).

Thanks so much for doing this!  This is one of those important things to try
that nobody ever gets around to.

Any chance we could have a timing test for the old fashioned repo on the same
server just to rule out confounding factors?  So we'd be comparing
old-fashioned d.h.org  with old-fashioned d.v.de with hashed d.v.de...

I was going to request that you set up a cron job for regular pull, but I see
you've already taken care of it. :-)

Also: If you copied http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc/_darcs/prefs/email into the
ghc/_darcs/prefs on that server, people could transparently use that repository
on a regular basis.  Alternatively, you could set up the motd to get them to
pull from d.h.o instead.

> Please read about.txt if you plan to use it for real.

Summary for the interested: it pulls every hour, the repos are hashed
and a lot faster and...

| Please note that there's also a ghc build slave running on this
| host, which tends to make it aparently unavailable when haddock or
| the test suite are running. The test builds are triggered every day
| at 04:00 (timezone Europe/Berlin, that's currently 02:00 UTC), and
| take about 12 hours. During that time, there are four or five moments
| when the machine starts swapping very heavily and you can get
| timeouts when trying to fetch from it.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9