[darcs-users] dropping GHC 6.6 support

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Jun 10 10:07:41 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

In an earlier message [1], I promised that darcs would support GHC 6.6
for one more release (version 2.3 in July).  But recently, we decided to
push for getting basic hashed-storage support into darcs.  It looks like
getting hashed-storage to install on GHC 6.6 is going to be difficult if
not impossible.  While it might be possible to coax older GHC into
installing it (by relaxing the base requirement to start with), this
work would probably be a poor investment of our time.  So I'm afraid
we're going to have to renege on this promise and drop GHC 6.6 support
after all.

I know this may cause some users difficulties in getting the latest
version of darcs.  We'll be standing by if you need any help working out
a solution for installing darcs on your machines.

GHC 6.6 build slave owners: it looks like it's time to either upgrade or
retire your slaves.

Darcs hackers: I think we can proceed with any other GHC-6.6 breaking
changes we've been putting off now.  The documentation should probably
be updated accordingly too, and darcs.net along with it.

Thanks,

Eric

[1] http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-February/017849.html

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9