[darcs-users] darcs patch: Use the mmap package instead of bytestri... (and 1 more)

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Thu Jun 11 21:48:31 UTC 2009

Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> writes:

> Only because I'm curious, do you know how it works on win32?
There's a semi-equivalent win32 API with an arcane name. I don't know the
details, but MSDN surely has them.

> I would be most interested in a performance and/or a stress test myself.  Like
> you, I would hope it is relatively safe but I wonder if it helps performance.
>  It could be that bytestring-mmap has some cleverness that speeds up the
> bytestring case.
>From what I know about bytestring, this is very unlikely. A bytestring is a
triple, ForeignPtr, Offset and Size. Creating an mmap'd bytestring amounts to
constructing the mapping (libc call), building a foreign ptr (ghc call) and
tacking on 0 and the map size. Nothing much that could be optimised there.

Yours,
   Petr.