[darcs-users] Darcs for GHC

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Fri Jun 19 13:11:18 UTC 2009

Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at bessy.de> writes:

> I often wondered why darcs didn't just say
>
> v v v v v v <patch description of patch1>
> conflicting stuff from patch1
> * * * * * *
> conflicting stuff from patch2
> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ <patch description of patch1>
>
> instead of
>
> v v v v v v
> conflicting stuff from patch1
> * * * * * *
> conflicting stuff from patch2

I chatted with David about this a couple of years ago (before Darcs 2
saw the light of day).  Then the main point was that identifying the
conflicting patches wasn't particularly fast (needing a scan of all
patches in the repo) so it was not done as part of apply, so that it
could remain linear in the number of *new* patches.

At least that's what I can recall now...
--
Regards,
Feri.