[darcs-users] "darcs record" interactive commands

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Mon Jun 22 20:21:26 UTC 2009

Michael Shulman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In "darcs record" interactive mode, what is the difference in behavior
> between "s" and "d", and between "f" and "a", and what exactly does
> "w" do?
>
> The only reference to interactive mode I can find in the manual says
> "By default, record works interactively. Probably the only thing you
> need to know about using this is that you can press ? at the prompt to
> be shown a list of the rest of the options and what they do. The rest
> should be clear from there."

Did you type a ? in darcs record interactive? To quote:

> w: wait and decide later, defaulting to no
> s: don't record the rest of the changes to this file
> f: record the rest of the changes to this file
> d: record selected changes, skipping all the remaining changes
> a: record all the remaining changes

The particular keywords that stand out between 's', 'f' and 'd', 'a' are
the words "this file" and "all". If pondering that still doesn't make
things clear, let me know.

'w' isn't as useful for interactive record as it is for interactive pull
(where it is useful for "I probably don't want this, but wait and tell
me if a later patch depends on this one). That does not mean that there
aren't uses for it during interactive record, though.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net