[darcs-users] soc progress 5

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Wed Jun 24 09:14:35 UTC 2009

"Trent W. Buck" <trentbuck at gmail.com> writes:
> OK, so a (hopefully) more realistic case: Alice has her repo on a USB
> key, and she plugs it into whatever "hot desk" workstation is free in
> the computer lab.  Some labs have PowerPC and some have AMD64.
>
> Will the index be regenerated every time she moves from a PowerPC lab
> to an AMD64 lab, and vice-versa?

The whole point of endianity conversion is that big and little endian machines
will produce bit-to-bit identical index file. (Ie. what I mean is adding a few
xlate calls into the Index code in hashed-storage.)

Yours,
   Petr.

--
Petr Ročkai | http://web.mornfall.net
A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms. (George Wald)