[darcs-users] darcs 2.3 beta 1

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 05:09:21 UTC 2009

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "Trent W. Buck" <trentbuck at gmail.com> writes:
>> The user manual is still built (from .tex and .lhs to .html and .pdf)
>> by the autoconf infrastructure (sorry!).
>>
>> Historically Eric has included pre-rendered .html and .pdf files in
>> the source tarballs, so that users can install the manuals without
>> needing to get a whole TeX environment up and running.
>>
>> I kinda assumed that we'd keep doing that, at least until Cabal can
>> build the user manual all by itself.
>
> Well, that would mean that "sdist" needs to be able to build the manual from
> the primary sources. Doesn't sound right to me, either. The whole problem is
> that when you have the right darcs checkout, you should be able to produce a
> bit-to-bit identical tarball by just issuing runghc Setup sdist.
>
> So, suggestions? As a temporary kind of measure, we could just call some make
> incantation from sdist. However please note that building darcs as part of the
> tarball build is out of question.

Strictly, the TeX manually currently requires ./preproc (not ./darcs) to
be compiled, but preproc effectively imports all of the same libraries
that Darcs does.  So I don't see a way a pre-rendered manual can be
provided, since we will always want parts of that manual to come from
the literate source code.