[darcs-users] darcs patch: Remove unused import. (and 7 more)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Fri Jun 26 14:37:27 UTC 2009

Hi Trent,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Trent W.Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hopefully these remove the GHC warnings without breaking anything.
>
> Fri Jun 26 15:57:08 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>  * Remove unused import.
>
> Fri Jun 26 15:57:28 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>  * Add type signature for Darcs.Gorsvet.floatFn.
>
> Fri Jun 26 15:58:40 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>  * Avoid shadow binding in Darcs.Gorsvet.
>
> Fri Jun 26 15:59:28 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>  * Add type signature to Darcs.Gorsvet.applyToTentativePristine.
>
> Fri Jun 26 15:59:50 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>  * Add type signatures to all Darcs.Gorsvet top-level bindings.
>
> Fri Jun 26 16:03:07 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>  * Keep GHC quiet about orphaned typeclass instances in Darcs.Gorsvet.
>  This should actually be fixed by moving these instances to another
>  module, because as GHC's user manual says:
>
>    The trouble with orphans is that GHC must pro-actively read the
>    interface files for all orphan modules, just in case their instances
>    or rules play a role, whether or not the module's interface would
>    otherwise be of any use. See Section 4.6.12, “Orphan modules and
>    instance declarations” for details.

There was a thread in the last 3 months or so on Haskell-Cafe about orphan
instances and, in particular, if they cause any problems in practice.  I
admit I didn't read the thread.  We have them in lots of places through out
the darcs code.  Personally, I've never really understand what it's all
about or why I would want to remove them.  As far as I know, we've never had
problems (read: bugs) because of them.

Jason