[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add some comments in Darcs.Patch.QuickCheck (and 4 more)

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Mon Jun 29 23:39:28 UTC 2009

Reinier Lamers wrote:
>   * have a better user interface
>   * run faster, especially when run in parallel on a multicore
>   * allow you to reproduce failures
>   * pass

This is a great contribution! Thanks a lot.

I pulled from your repo into darcs head and ran the unit tests on a x86_64 ubuntu intrepid machine:

$ time dist/build/unit/unit
          Properties   Test Cases   Total
  Passed  55           36           91
  Failed  0            0            0
  Total   55           36           91

real	6m25.218s
user	4m12.060s
sys	0m4.040s

The shell-based functional tests all passed as well. I think this is the first time I've seen darcs with all tests
passing. Excellent.

Thanks also for creating testrunner and being willing to retire it so quickly when you found the (presumably) more
suitable test-framework. And, good luck in the new job, I hope it's easy so we don't lose you. :)

-Simon

PS I wonder if it's safe to run the shell tests in parallel ? If so, that would be a good reason to hook them up to
test-framework. And adding -j8 didn't run the unit tests any faster, fwiw.