[darcs-users] Suggestion: Compile Setup for the Cabal build

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Sun Mar 1 10:25:38 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Friday 13 February 2009 13:15, Thorkil Naur wrote:
> Hello Zooko,
>
> On Tuesday 10 February 2009 22:31, Eric Kow wrote:
> > > Now you can push to
> >
> >   thorkilnaur at code.haskell.org:/srv/code/darcs/buildbot
> >
> > (and for that matter, any of the darcs repositories in /srv/code/darcs)
> > It may be good to ask Zooko to pull the patches onto his master
>
> I have changed the buildbot master configuration in
> code.haskell.org:/srv/code/darcs/buildbot to compile Setup and run the
binary
> instead of interpreting it, hoping to gain some speed. When convenient,
could
> you please pull the new configuration and restart the buildbot master?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best regards
> Thorkil

Sorry, this change that I introduced causes the Windows buildbot slave to fail
(http://buildbot.darcs.net/buildbot-darcs/builders/zooko%20allmydata%20virtual2%20Windows-XP%20i386/builds/347/steps/configure/logs/stdio):

> C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ./Setup configure --verbose --user -f-curl
-f-libwww -fexternal-zlib -ftype-witnesses
>  in dir c:\Documents and Settings\buildslave\windows-darcs2\zooko allmydata
virtual2\build
>  watching logfiles {}
>  argv: ['C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe', '/c', './Setup', 'configure',
'--verbose', '--user', '-f-curl', '-f-libwww', '-fexternal-zlib',
'-ftype-witnesses']
>  environment:
>  closing stdin
>  using PTY: False
> '.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> program finished with exit code 1
> elapsedTime=0.210000

Briefly recapitulating, I have replaced

> runghc Setup build
> runghc Setup test
> runghc Setup test network

by

> ghc --make Setup -o Setup
> ./Setup build
> ./Setup test
> ./Setup test network

to reduce resource consumption. And that change doesn't work on Windows.

Sorry again for this lack of foresight on my side.

The question is, of course, what to do about this: I must admit that I don't
see an immediate solution. To be sure, I could change the command sequence
into

> ghc --make Setup -o Setup
> Setup build
> Setup test
> Setup test network

but that would then seem to require Unix'y buildbot slaves to have "." in
their $PATH which does not seem a safe assumption.

And, of course, I can also simply unpull this change to give us some time to
think.

Any advice on how to resolve this unfortunate situation will be heartily
welcomed.

Best regards
Thorkil