[darcs-users] Comercial hosting and branching

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Sun Mar 1 18:45:31 UTC 2009

Maurí­cio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Darcs have as basic phylosofy to consider all repos
> as branches. How would a hoster for darcs repositories
> like patch-tag deal with that? All projects will
> have many copies of repos, which could be merged or
> forked from time to time?

Patch-tag takes a very naive approach...  It doesn't manage the
project-level concerns at all and simply allows you to create/use as
many repositories as you (and your projects) need/see fit, and leaving
to you to push/pull between them as necessary.  This is in line with the
"github mentality" that is the current state of the art in DVCS hosting.

(As I get closer to getting my own hosting platform together I've been
debating the viability of opening it up to paid private hosting.  My
platform takes a much more project-oriented view similar to the
"classic" *Forge model and not too far of a stone's throw from Trac. In
my own view of how I might charge for a Project I see focusing more on
the number of Patches or Files as a metric rather Repositories. That is
a paid Project may host an "unlimited" number of Repositories, but may
have to pay some additional costs if the number of patches across all
repositories crossing some quota.)

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net