[darcs-users] HTTP Redirect Support

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Sun Mar 1 22:36:41 UTC 2009

Hey fellow darcs users!

I've got something I've been wondering for a few weeks now and thought
about testing it myself, but I think someone may have experience with
this already:

How well does darcs deal with HTTP redirects?  How many people make use
of HTTP redirected URLs for repositories?

I'm worried that it might differ across HTTP libraries, but I'm
expecting for the most part darcs handles redirects "transparently" with
each HTTP library "just doing the right thing".

One particular scenario I'm interested in/curious about:

Suppose that darcs gets a HTTP redirect (particularly an HTTP 301
Permanent Redirect) for a few important files (say _darcs/format and/or
_darcs/inventory) is it currently "smart" enough to switch to getting
the rest of the files with relation to the redirected paths?  If not, is
there any interest in this as a feature/enhancement? (I'd be happy to
submit it to round-up if that is the case.)

An example to illustrate the question / possibly preferred method of
operation:

$ darcs get http://project.example.com/repo/
darcs asks for http://project.example.com/reponame/_darcs/format and is
301 redirected to http://repos.example.com/project/reponame/_darcs/format
darcs asks for http://project.example.com/reponame/_darcs/inventory and
is 301 redirected to
http://repos.example.com/project/reponame/_darcs/inventory
darcs skips trying
http://project.example.com/reponame/_darcs/pristine.hashed/somepristinehash
and directly requests
http://repos.example.com/project/reponame/_darcs/pristine.hashed/somepristinehash

I haven't decided whether or not it would be nice/useful for darcs to
subsequently modify defaultrepo (given the case that it is using the
defaultrepo) to reflect a redirect.

Such redirection "smarts" can be useful for moving projects and also
useful for load balancing (such as a nice, easy to remember repository
URL redirecting to a faster/better server with a longer, less useful URL).

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net