[darcs-users] _real_ cygwin build?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Mar 2 17:06:03 UTC 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:

>> The provided "cygwin" version doesn't work; even local pushes fail.
>>
>>     realdarcs.exe: darcs: runInteractiveProcess: does not exist
>>     (No such file or directory)

I'm responsible for that "cygwin" version, so I'll work with you to
debug this if you want.  Did you get to this failure by using my zip
file and following the instructions on:

http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/
Binaries#head-735c03f140af5a704e05887acfa44ea0b9b43146

>> after choosing the patches. And this 'Pushing to "c:/foo/bar"':
>> doesn't look like a _cygwin_ build, but a native Windows program.
>> It even fails to find my ~/.darcs/author.

I think it looks for an environment variable named "HOME", or
possible the Windowsy equivalent USERPROFILE.

>> Apparently such a version would require a _real_ cygwin ghc?

That would be ideal.

>> And there is no such a thing available anywhere?

Nope.  I spent a couple of hours trying to port it once.  The
problems I hit were all of the familiar form "check for platform type
and then configure a bunch of settings for that platform instead of
testing each capability separately to see if it works".  This
familiar pattern fails when the "platform type" is 'windowsy', but it
actually provides a bunch of unix functions that normal Windows
doesn't provide.

>> Do I have to change VCS along with OS?

No!  Use darcs on cygwin, and help me and Salvatore make it work better.

--Zooko
---
Tahoe, the Least-Authority Filesystem -- http://allmydata.org
store your data: $10/month -- http://allmydata.com/?tracking=zsig