[darcs-users] _real_ cygwin build?

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Mon Mar 2 18:10:55 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-02 10:06 -0700, zooko wrote:
> I'm responsible for that "cygwin" version, so I'll work with you to
> debug this if you want.  Did you get to this failure by using my zip
> file and following the instructions on:
>
> http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/
> Binaries#head-735c03f140af5a704e05887acfa44ea0b9b43146

Yes, up to the point of configuring ssh, which I didn't
yet even bother with. And I really don't like setting up
keys for every computer, now that with hashed (and 2.0?)
repos ssh passwords work just fine with normal *nix builds.

> >>after choosing the patches. And this 'Pushing to "c:/foo/bar"':
> >>doesn't look like a _cygwin_ build, but a native Windows program.
> >>It even fails to find my ~/.darcs/author.
>
> I think it looks for an environment variable named "HOME", or
> possible the Windowsy equivalent USERPROFILE.

neither/.darcs/author is recognised.

I tried to strace, but got no output!

> Nope.  I spent a couple of hours trying to port it once.  The
> problems I hit were all of the familiar form "check for platform type
> and then configure a bunch of settings for that platform instead of
> testing each capability separately to see if it works".  This
> familiar pattern fails when the "platform type" is 'windowsy', but it
> actually provides a bunch of unix functions that normal Windows
> doesn't provide.

Maybe one would have better luck with some simpler compiler?
Has darcs been built with the others?

--
Tuomo