[darcs-users] _real_ cygwin build?

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Tue Mar 3 16:45:44 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-03, Salvatore Insalaco <kirby81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) (the hardest one) Provide a cygwin build of GHC,

I'm not placing much hopes on GHC. Not particularly a fan
of the overbearing cabal. (They're essentially forcing me to
join it, if I want to build my Riot. I said goodbye Haskell.)

> 2) (the easiest one) Try to make the current windows "mixed cygwin"
> darcs.exe do what you want. If you file specific issues, e.g. "the
> current  cygwin darcs.exe doesn't work with cygwin paths" or "it can't
> use cygwin ssh", we can try to help you. GHC compiled programs on
> Windows can't call cygwin executable directly, but you could wrap them
> in cygwin.exe invocations (maybe there're better ways).

I don't care what ssh it uses, as long as it works without
key setups. It should work, if it was a real cygwin program
using ssh from cygwin.

Probably it's easier to just switch to mercurial.
It's a shame. No matter how much darcs sucks otherwise,
it's got the user interface and workflow right.

--
"[Fashion] is usually a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have
 to alter it every six months." -- Oscar Wilde