[darcs-users] --mark-conflicts

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 07:43:43 UTC 2009

Maurí­cio <briqueabraque at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Why can I 'pull --mark-conflicts', but not
> 'push --mark-conflicts'?

As a technical reason, because push (over ssh) calls "darcs apply" on
the remote end.  "darcs push --mark-conflicts" would need to pass that
option on to "darcs apply".

This is often regarded as an evil thing, but it seems to me that Darcs
should allow you (the user) to decide if you want t be evil in this
way.  (And the default should be --dont-allow-conflicts both for push
and pull, IMO.)

> I can 'push' to my remote repository, but not 'pull' from it (because
> of network reasons).  What should I do to get the same I would have if
> I could 'push --mark-conflicts' to it?

With a recent enough Darcs, it should tell you -- you need to edit
_darcs/prefs/defaults on the remote end to contain a line

    apply mark-conflicts

Alternatively, you can create a patch bundle with send -O, manually scp
that file to the remote end, then manually run "darcs apply
--mark-conflicts".