[darcs-users] --mark-conflicts

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 07:47:22 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 12:55:47 -0300, Maurí­cio wrote:
>> Why can I 'pull --mark-conflicts', but not
>> 'push --mark-conflicts'?
>
> It's a user interface convention, the idea being that resolving
> conflicts that you caused should be easy, but inflicting them on others
> should not be.
>
> The behaviour this implicitly encourages is to pull the conflicting
> patches and to resolve any conflicts before pushing them back.

I might believe this argument if Darcs was a centralized VCS, or even if
it enforced a particular layout of repos/branches/whatever.  But right
now Darcs mostly just provides ways to move patches between
repositories, and the missing --mark-conflicts means that "push" and
"pull" aren't symmetric.

Yes, it can be worked around.  But sometimes this is terribly
inconvenient and "I know better than you, Darcs".  Particularly when I
both ends are private repos to which only I have access -- I can go into
details regarding use cases in a follow-up post if you like.