[darcs-users] Repository as a branch

Christian Kellermann Christian.Kellermann at nefkom.net
Wed Mar 4 09:11:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

* Maurí­cio <briqueabraque at yahoo.com> [090303 18:38]:
> Hi,
>
> How fundamental to darcs phylosophy is the decision of
> considering a repo a branch?
>
> The reason I ask is that I would like to tell people who work
> with me about darcs, but there's a major problem I can't solve.
>
> That is: suppose I have tree people working on a single
> project. Each one is working on a different line of
> development. So, every person will probably have three
> repositories: one at work, one at home and one at a remote server
> with backup system that also allows syncronization between all
> repositories. Since people sometimes have a few different ideas
> at the same time, it would not be unusual to have 5 or 6 repos
> per individual.
>
> There's a aditional problem: since home and office are usually
> under NAT, we can ssh to remote server, but we can't ssh from
> remote server to home or office. This means every time we have
> a conflict (say, between some code I wrote at home and other
> I wrote at office) we need to create a bundle of patches in
> order to apply them to the remote server.
>
> So, for a 3 people environment, we have around 12 repositories,
> with regular small annoyances when pushing conflicting patches.

As I do it with darcs and other projects:

- Maintain an 'upstream' repo of the server in all locations
- Merge local changes into (a copy of ) that repository
- darcs push these changes back.

This method will give you always the opportunity of resolving
conflicts locally wherever you are and you avoid the NAT issue.

I hope this helps,

Christian