[darcs-users] _real_ cygwin build?

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Mar 4 22:15:42 UTC 2009

Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> (I might run an _old_ version of Linux in a virtual machine instead
> of cygwin, if the virtual machines worked more reliably with host
> suspend/hibernate, and didn't have power use overheads. And Linux
> itself as the main OS can only be suspended/hibernated when ten
> thousand sun spots are correctly aligned and you sacrifice a goat
> before the act -- part of the reason for my projected switch to
> Windows.)

I've been running Ubuntu on a Dell laptop and suspend/hibernate work
just fine. If you have the right hardware a modern Linux environment has
no problem with suspend/hibernate.

Dell configures Ubuntu machines if you want to spend a little money to
invest in something that works out of the box with Linux (certainly
cheaper than sacrificing many goats):

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dgc=IR&cid=11973&lid=471885

Other manufacturers have Linux-based systems as well that are factory
configured for things like suspend/hibernate.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net