[darcs-users] --mark-conflicts

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 08:39:28 UTC 2009

Excerpts from trentbuck's message of Fri Mar 06 01:39:14 +0100 2009:
> Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:
> > I do not see a problem with having the allow/mark options to push as
> > well, for people who know better and really need this, but I think
> > push should keep --dont-allow-conflicts as the default.
>
> +1 for --dont-allow-conflicts as the default in 2.3 -- both for push
> *and* pull.

Also +1 for a --dont-allow-conflicts default for both commands.

However if this direction is chosen, maybe a small annoyance should
be tackled first, the *-backup files should not be created with
--dont-allow-conflicts when pulling since the original files won't
be touched. Moreover the error message should be more explicative
about the procedure to follow and why it stops.

The goal of this would be also to prevent from newbie errors where the
repository is unusually different from the upstream version and then cause
darcs to compute very complicated conflicts. By explaining that doing a
"darcs push --dry-run --all", and a "darcs whatsnew" will help to predict
if the conflict is expected or not.

--
Nicolas Pouillard