[darcs-users] darcs patch: Partially resolve issue1376: merge darcsman.hs into da...

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Fri Mar 6 16:29:06 UTC 2009

Thanks Trent, here's some quick review. Background:
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1376 says
"Currently the manual and manpage are treated as second-class citizens
because they have not kept up with the cabal transition (my fault).
This needs to be the top priority of the documentation team (i.e. me);
otherwise documentation will continue to fall further behind.
The first step is to merge darcsman.hs into the main Darcs binary, such
that cabal can build dist/build/darcs/darcs and then just run it
"dist/build/darcs/darcs help manual >darcs.1" at the end of "cabal
build" and prior to "cabal install".  Once this is done, we can worry
about the full LaTeX manual (which is harder, because the auto-generated
parts are occur throughout .lhs and .tex files.)"

I'm sympathetic to building things right into the darcs binary when it
eases building, deployment, and is not unuseful for users. Eg I'd like
to build in some form of test runner. Your change indeed looks simple
and should do what you want. I'm in favour of things that work for now
even if not perfect.

I'm uncomfortable with "darcs help manual" though because it's strictly
to make cabal packaging easier; users don't need a command that sounds
useful but instead dumps a bunch of troff source. Maybe you could give
this a less useful-sounding name ? Or make it a secret packager's
command, though I don't like secret commands either.