[darcs-users] DRAFT: darcs Google Summer of Code application

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Mar 9 11:35:28 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> PS. Malcolm, one of my fears is that my attempt is too long-winded.
>     What do you think?

I do not think it is too long-winded.  Since darcs will be applying for
the first time, it is important to give a decent amount of descriptive
information about the organisation.

There is one place where I think you have not said enough however:

> 3. Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please
> summarize your involvement and the successes and challenges of
> your participation.
>
>     * No. But we have had a successful project under the umbrella of the
>       Haskell.org, Jason Dagit, 2007 mentored by David Roundy

Because Google have said that they plan to accept fewer organisations
this year, I think it is important for a new organisation to market
itself as being likely to achieve good success.  You could say something
about the connection with haskell.org, and how you believe the latter
has fostered the growth of the darcs community.  I would emphasise the
fact that darcs' maturity, and its team, have grown since 2007
sufficiently that you believe it now stands in its own right, and is no
longer simply a sub-grouping of haskell.org.  I would also say more
about the 2007 project - a couple of sentences about the successful
outcomes, both technically, and in terms of continued involvement of
Jason in the darcs community.  If you can persuade Jason to be listed as
a mentor that would be even better - Google like the "student
participant becomes mentor" story.

Regards,
    Malcolm