[darcs-users] Windows build error (due to ifdef juggling?)

Duncan Coutts duncan at haskell.org
Mon Mar 9 11:46:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 09:42 +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> Any ideas on what might be causing this build error on own Windows
> build slave?
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:23:39 +0100, Salvatore Insalaco wrote:
> >
> > Maybe on the buildbot we are using the last version of Cabal? Recently
> > cabal began checking for external libs too, and we have got "z" as an
> > external lib dependency on the cabal file.

No, it's not that or you'd see a proper error message at configure time.
Since you've got "extra-libraries: z" its not surprising that building
fails when that library is not available. That's what the new configure
time check is for, to give a nice error message up front rather than an
obscure error at build time.

So presumably that build slave is using -external-zlib and does not have
libz on the linker search path.

By the way, can I recommend that your build slaves use -v for the
configure and build steps. In general it makes diagnosis much easier.
For example I could see what flags were selected, what versions of libs
are in use, what version of Cabal and ghc are being used etc etc.

Duncan