[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue1358: encode non-ASCII char... (and 2 more)

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Mar 10 03:10:45 UTC 2009

Reinier Lamers writes:

 > I think it's mailman. The subject line darcs sends fits the 78 char
 > limit. I suppose when mailman puts the "[darcs-users]" in front, it
 > folds the line with a tab.

Older Mailman installations definitely do that by default, but it's
configurable (at least if you have command-line access).  I remember a
discussion, the outcome of which was

1. (Rationale for old default) folding with a TAB is RFC 822
   conformant, and more readable to many people using text-based MUAs

2. It is not RFC 2822 conformant, which specifies removal of exactly
   the newline the canonical way to unfold (and thus implies that
   exactly "adding a newline before a whitespace character" is the
   canonical way to fold).

3. The default SHOULD be changed.

Whether that happened and in which version, I don't recall offhand.
Upgrading Mailman might win here.