[darcs-users] darcs patch: Partially resolve issue1376: merge darcsman.hs into da...

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Mar 10 20:48:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 00:26:24 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> The main reason I haven't implemented this idea yet is because the way
> Darcs handles options is terribly confusing and convoluted (at least
> it seems so to me).  I was going to suggest using getopt, but it turns
> out we already ARE using getopt...

I'm guessing that part of the issue is that we have different sets of
options which are shared by the commands.

I've always been hoping that somebody would write a generic library
that helps people to have the same kind of command line parsing

  command sub-command options
  command options

which is used by darcs as well as a whole bunch of Haskell programs
like cabal-install, ghc-pkg and twidge.  It could also be handy for
camp or anybody else who wants to build a revision control system in
Haskell (say a git clone).

Bart Massey's parseargs might be a good basis for such a library, but I
don't know it very well.

On a related note, see http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1157 for an issue
that's a little bit deeper down.