[darcs-users] darcs patch: Improve memory usage of darcs check and ... (and 1 more)

Bertram Felgenhauer int-e at gmx.de
Tue Mar 10 21:08:41 UTC 2009

Eric Kow wrote:
> [top-posting because I'm not sure if Bertram is on this list and
>  therefore if he received Petr's reply]
>
> Hi Bertram,
>
> I'll apply this, but could you run the standard darcs benchmarks
> (maybe improving them as needed) and send us some results?

I didn't want to download 130 MB worth of repos, so I used the darcs
repo for testing (again). For the record though, darcs-2.2.0 uses
more than 1 GB of memory when checking the ghc repo (unhashed),
while with the patch it's close to 250 MB.

=== zoo/darcs ===

          || 2.2.0-ac    | +patch
    check ||  43.1s 154M |  24.9s 21M
 get full ||  15.9s  10M |  16.1s 10M
 get lazy ||   0.9s   3M |   0.8s  3M
 pull 100 ||   6.6s  11M |   6.4s 11M
pull 1000 ||  49.7s  35M |  51.6s 31M
   repair ||  32.7s 153M |  31.9s 19M

It didn't work out of the box; I had to change the parsing of the memory
usage for ghc 6.10.1; patch sent off list.

Bertram