[darcs-users] About darcs darcs repo as an darcs usage example...

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Mar 11 02:46:05 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:58:18PM -0400, Max Battcher wrote:
>> Trent W. Buck wrote:

>>> Maybe if we didn't have this strictness, and Darcs' repo had exponential
>>> blowouts, people would actually be motivated to address the issue...
>> The same can be said about binary files...  Maybe we should inflict
>> some graphics-addicted designer on the darcs websites in the hopes
>> of adding in many ugly binary patches?
>
> Nooo, because a *good* graphic designer would be using SVGs, which are XML!

I certainly was thinking more about a bad one with a few 100MB+ .PSD
files to version control...

For reference, right now I've been trying to push a large binary
patch...  This is perhaps the second time I've actually had this problem
with this repo, I think. It is certainly proof that the "init a blank
repository and darcs push -a" is not quite the best methodology.  The
repository is proprietary, so I can't share it, but the gist of it is
that there's a patch where a whole bunch of binary art assets got added
(at the same time in a single patch, smart huh?). If I try to darcs push
that one patch alone darcs eats up over a half-gig of memory (this darcs
2.2.0 on Windows) and "seems" to idle with no useful progress reporting
and seemingly no network activity.

So I ``darcs send -o artassets.dpatch`` that patch. It's fast enough
that I don't even notice the memory usage. The patch size is roughly 27 MBs.

I just tried -v -v -v --debug --timing and here's where it appears to
freeze:

Beginning identifying repository .
Done identifying repository .
Identified darcs-2 repo: /path/to/remote/repo/

Maybe that is useful?

Sorry to bring this up and then be fairly vague, but its an "important"
work repo and a rare problem. I'm going to manually copy over the
.dpatch now...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net