[darcs-users] how to annotate an old version in repository

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:18:26 UTC 2009

Eric Kow wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 14:34:14 +0100, Peter Hercek wrote:
>
>> I tried to use the --index (-n) option but it did not work since I could
>> not count the patch range easily .. not sure where is the error since I
>> did not feel like counting few thousands patches in the change log
>> manually and maybe my script did not give the right numbers when run on
>> the change log (output of darcs changes).
>>

> Would darcs annotate --match (or --patch) be more helpful?

Right, that works well, thanks. What it does is not clear from "darcs
help annotate" but it works :)

Is there also a way to avoid duplication of commit messages in the darcs
annotate output?

Here is an example of what I mean:

Instead of:

# Following line added by [Initial version
# Peter Hercek <phercek at gmail.com>**20090115185947]
 Author:              Peter Hercek
 Maintainer:          phercek at gmail.com

I would rather see:

# Following lines added by [Initial version
# Peter Hercek <phercek at gmail.com>**20090115185947]
 Author:              Peter Hercek
 Maintainer:          phercek at gmail.com

The point is that the commit info should be there only when it changes
for the next line. Not for each line individually. Although sometimes it
merges the same commit message for more source code lines but it looks
like mostly it does not.
Maybe another good switch?

Thanks,
Peter.