[darcs-users] how to annotate an old version in repository

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Thu Mar 12 01:53:15 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> +1.  For me, annotate's format makes it unusable for me.  Instead I tend
> to do
>
>     darcs changes -v file.c | less
>
> and then search for keywords.  I am also wary of annotate because I
> heard it has (had?) huge speed issues.

In my experience annotate is too slow to be used on a web server as HTTP
requests come in, but for HTTP you want responses on the order of
milliseconds, and you are already losing a fair amount of time in
shunting out a new process.

In terms of use from the command line, while it's not exactly speedy by
any account (it takes some time), I've never seen a speed issue that
made me feel like I needed to outright avoid it. I guess there might be
issues with repos with lots of conflicts, but that's in the same bucket
with all the other issues at that point...

Also, +1 at making the CLI annotate output cleaner. (Preferably, leaving
the XML output alone.)

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net