[darcs-users] DRAFT: darcs Google Summer of Code application

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Mar 12 09:55:17 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Here is the modified section with my attempt to incorporate Ganesh and
Malcolm's advice.

I intend to submit this version this afternoon UTC.

If you have any last minute comments, I would love to have them!

------8<---------------

Did your organization participate in past GSoCs?  If so, please summarize your
involvement and the successes and challenges of your participation.

 No. But we have had a successful project under the umbrella of the
 Haskell.org, Jason Dagit, 2007 mentored by David Roundy.

 Being part of the Haskell community has been very good for darcs. We can
 think of Haskell.org as a sort of incubator for projects: the community has
 given us ideas, advice and programmers. But by now, we have grown to the point,
 where it would make sense for us to stand our own, and for the Haskell
 community to concentrate on its smaller projects.

 Jason has stayed with the darcs community for a year since his Summer of
 Code project and has gone on to do a Masters thesis with David Roundy based on
 his work. Unfortunately, he has recently had to cut back on his darcs activity,
 but we will still be in touch with him for advice on future projects.

 His work provided us with a much needed false start. As most of his time
 was spent getting to grips with the darcs patch theory and learning about
 the deeper parts of the code, we did not get as much implementation work
 done as we would have liked. But we did a good foundational piece of code
 started (the use of type witnesses), and some preliminary work on
 darcs-2.  While we did not end up using the latter code, it did help us
 to get a better idea on how darcs-2 should work.  Darcs 2 was released in
 January 2008.

 Furthermore, we now have a somewhat better idea what kind of work is suitable
 and realistic for the summer. With his advice, we will be more careful to make
 sure that projects are better defined and easier to get started on right away.