[darcs-users] darcs vs sendmail

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:23:20 UTC 2009

Eric Kow wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:54:45 +0100, Peter Hercek wrote:
>
>> Eric Kow wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks!  Would you mind generating a darcs patch with this?
>>>
>> I did it, and it looks like it went well, but I cannot really tell since
>> I do not know whether it arrived anywhere.
>> I thought it should arrive to this list but it is not coming.
>>

> Ok what I'm going to ask you to do in the meantime is to darcs send -O
> and email the attachment by hand.

It is attached. Though looks like Trent has a better patch.

> Does darcs send work for you on other repositories, or is it just the
> darcs darcs repository that you're having trouble with?  I think you,
> Ben Moseley and a lot other users in the past have had an issue with
> darcs send telling you it succeeded when it did not.

I do not use darcs much but in past this operation was ok (the email was
received correctly). It may have been an older version of darcs though.
This time it reported success but looks like the patch did not arrive.

> Darcs send relies on your mail transfer agent (sendmail, etc).  So the
> question for us darcs hackers is why does this happen?  Is it something
> we can fix (darcs isn't listening to sendmail properly), or is it the
> kind of situation where the universe is broken (MTAs silently accept
> messages they can't actually send) and the only thing we can do is post
> some diagnostic steps on the FAQ?

If it helps, my OS is ArchLinux. It was up-to-date when I tried to send
the patch. Sendmail (when testing it for command line) sends messages
just right.

Peter.