[darcs-users] darcs vs sendmail

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Mar 13 09:14:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

The following barrage of questions basically amounts to "what can we
darcs hackers to do help, if anything?"

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:19:02 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> To my mind, there are some proactive steps that can be taken:

Does the below go on the FAQ somewhere?  Are there things we ought to be
adding to the darcs user documentation, even if they go along the lines
of "please figure out how to configure X to do Y".

Should darcs send be somehow modified to better accommodate the
MTA-unaware?

Does there need to be some sort "darcs send quickstart" to help
people work out if their machine is configured correctly.  For example,
  http://code.haskell.org/~kowey/test-for-darcs-send

It's just a dummy repo with a shell script that creates a patch and
calls darcs send.  You plug in an email address (your own, presumably)
to find out if darcs send is working.

Thanks!

>   - They can configure (and test) a full MTA on their machine.  I think
>     people able and willing to take this option are automatically not
>     the issue here.
>
>   - They can use msmtp-mta as their /usr/sbin/sendmail, with a correctly
>     configured ~/.msmtprc or /etc/msmtprc.
>
>     AFAIK, this is the only "dummy" sendmail implementation that will
>     not exit until it has either finished, or failed to, deliver the
>     mail.  This means that if darcs sees sendmail succeed, you can be
>     confident that at least the first hop succeeded.
>
>   - Often people have an MTA on their desktop, but don't use it.
>     Instead they configure their MUA (e.g. Thunderbird) to directly send
>     and receive from a remote mail server.
>
>     If that is the case, their local MTA is bound to be misconfigured.
>     Ideally they should remove it (as Ubuntu does), and configure Darcs
>     to send via the MUA, e.g.
>
>         darcs send --send-command 'mutt -c %c -a %a %t'

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9