[darcs-users] Windows build error (due to ifdef juggling?)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Mar 13 11:47:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:34:58 +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> You've not said why you expect it to work. In that configuration
> (zlib=False) it needs the zlib C library rather than the zlib Haskell
> package. It then fails complaining that it cannot find -lz, ie that it
> cannot find the zlib C library.  Did you expect that it would be able to
> find the C library? Did you install it? If so, where did you put it?

Oh! Now I see what happened.

This was "working" all the way up to build 345
  http://buildbot.darcs.net/builders/zooko%20allmydata%20virtual2%20Windows-XP%20i386/builds/345/steps/compile/logs/stdio
with no (presumably) changes in Zooko's setup.
Then it broke in build 346.  I've just worked out these build numbers
recently.

The cause?  The build master was configured to tell the Windows build
slave to build with -fexternal-zlib and when I had simplified the flag
names in darcs (external-zlib to zlib), I had neglected to do the same
on the build master.  Such is the price of churn.

Zooko: please pull my patch 'Replace external-zlib flag with zlib' in
the build master. (it would be good if we had a way to automate this)

Thanks Duncan!  Sorry to have involved you on this; we really should
have been able to work it out by just putting 2 and 2 together.  But you
did ask the right questions :-)