[darcs-users] darcs vs sendmail

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:14:52 UTC 2009

Eric Kow wrote:
> Thanks!  Could you try out this dummy test?
>
>  darcs get http://code.haskell.org/~kowey/test-for-darcs-send
>  cd test-for-darcs-send
>  chmod u+x go.sh
>  ./go.sh
>
> (presumably, sending the patch to yourself?)

I did sent the patch to my email and it did work well this time. I got
the patch. Maybe it was just unreliable email. My user name is peter.
/var/mail/peter does not exist. /var/mail/root does not contain any
messages.

If sendmail is not reliable (ie it does not make sure that at least
first hop is ok before returning) then it is probably better to send
mail directly from darcs (using smtp). If you send it directly to the
target mail server you have good change it will accept it. The most
common problem will be gray-list on the target server but at least you
can report temporary error to the user and ask him to try again after 10
mins, 1 hour and 1 day or whatever are common delays for gray-lists. The
other problem may be that mail server does not accept email from a
"server" which does not have reverse dns registered, but this is rare.
Well, and if one has an virus than his/her ip can be in some RBL, but in
such a case the user has a much bigger problem.

Peter.