[darcs-users] darcs vs sendmail

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:30:21 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 18:37:51 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> Sorry, no.  Note that --send-command is a made-up option.
>
> On the other hand, --sendmail-command is a very real option
>
>    --sendmail-command=COMMAND      specify sendmail command
>
> which I use to send patches through msmtp

Yes, but --sendmail-command expects a sendmail(8) compatible interface
(e.g. -oi -t), whereas my imaginary --send-command expects a shell
command into which the various values (%t for To, %s for Subject, %a for
a file containing the patch attachment) are substituted.

As MUAs like thunderbird and mutt do not provide a sendmail-compatible
interface, --sendmail-command is not appropriate for people who (ab)use
their MUA as their only means of relaying mail to a smarthost.