[darcs-users] darcs vs sendmail

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Mar 13 22:45:57 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 18:37:51 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>>> Sorry, no.  Note that --send-command is a made-up option.
>> On the other hand, --sendmail-command is a very real option
>>
>>    --sendmail-command=COMMAND      specify sendmail command
>>
>> which I use to send patches through msmtp
>
> Yes, but --sendmail-command expects a sendmail(8) compatible interface
> (e.g. -oi -t), whereas my imaginary --send-command expects a shell
> command into which the various values (%t for To, %s for Subject, %a for
> a file containing the patch attachment) are substituted.
>
> As MUAs like thunderbird and mutt do not provide a sendmail-compatible
> interface, --sendmail-command is not appropriate for people who (ab)use
> their MUA as their only means of relaying mail to a smarthost.

Note that darcs --sendmail-command actually does what your
--send-command option intends.  From the manual:

     --sendmail-command
     If you want to use a command different from the default one
     for sending email, you need to specify a command line with
     the --sendmail-command option. The command line can contain
     some format specifiers which are replaced by the actual values.
     Accepted format specifiers are %s for subject, %t for to, %c for
     cc, %b for the body of the mail, %f for from, %a for the patch
     bundle and the same specifiers in uppercase for the URL-encoded
     values. Additionally you can add %< to the end of the command
     line if the command expects the complete email message on
     standard input. E.g. the command lines for evolution and msmtp
     look like this:

         evolution "mailto:%T?subject=%S&attach=%A&cc=%C&body=%B"
         msmtp -t %<

IIRC, that evolution example in the manual _almost worked_ for
Thunderbird (IIRC, I believe it was that Thunderbird didn't pay
attention to &attach=...). Maybe someone should put together a Wiki page
of common recipes for MUA command line options.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net