[darcs-users] darcs patch: Remove support for calling wget/curl on ... (and 2 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 04:36:57 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Is it too early for us to do this?  Am I being too eager?  Also, what am I missing
> in these patches?  What could go wrong?  Thanks!
>
> Fri Mar 13 10:29:48 GMT 2009  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
>   * Remove support for calling wget/curl on the command line.

I feel that if this is done, at compile time Darcs must insist on
finding at least one HTTP client library.  I don't think it should be
possible to build a Darcs binary that cannot do a get or pull from an
HTTP URL.  If that proviso is met, I have no problem with dropping
support for calling wget(1) as a separate process.

As we saw last week, it's currently easy for an end user to accidentally
compile Darcs without any HTTP client library, and still have it work by
forking wget for each GET.  But because this compilation case is rarely
tested and is not optimized, the end result is a poor user experience.
Worse, it's not clear to the user that Darcs is being slow because of
the compile-time options rather than inherent suck in Darcs.