[darcs-users] darcs mv will be renamed to darcs move

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Mar 15 12:56:42 UTC 2009

Folks,

Just a note about a minor UI change that we'll be making.

Right now we have:

- darcs remove ( tells darcs to stop tracking a file
               ; does not affect the working directory)

- darcs rm ( stub command that tells you to use darcs remove )

- darcs move ( alias for darcs mv )

- darcs mv ( tells darcs to change the path with which it tracks a file
           ; actually moves the corresponding file in the working dir )

The current rationale for the different style names (remove vs. mv) is
that with 'mv', users expect darcs to change the working directory, i.e.
to actually move the file; where as with 'remove', users do not have
such an expectation.

The counter-argument is that this kind of distinction is too subtle and
that we are better off just calling things the same way even if it loses
the distinction along the way.

Our most active contributor to user documentation and help text, Trent
Buck has submitted a patch to swap the defaults so that darcs move is
the official command, and that darcs mv is its alias.

After I apply this patch, *darcs will behave exactly the same as
before*.  There will be nothing new to learn because darcs mv and darcs
move will continue to act the way they do now.  This should *only*
affect the user documentation and our help screens.  So trusting Trent,
I intend to apply to this patch sometime tomorrow.

Please shout if you have a strong objection to this,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9