[darcs-users] darcs patch: Remove support for calling wget/curl on ... (and 2 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Mar 15 15:19:56 UTC 2009

Hi Dmitry and Trent,

Dmitry: could you take a quick look at this?  It shouldn't be much
effort, just making sure I haven't done anything silly.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 15:38:00 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> What effect does this actually have?  Does this mean we can build Darcs
> binaries that have two separate HTTP client libraries linked in?

Yes.  There are some bits (HTTP post, I think) which are only
implemented with HTTP and not with libcurl.  (A good follow-up question
is "why"?)

> If so, which one gets used?

My understanding of Darcs.URL is that if we have libcurl, we will just
libcurl whether or not we have HTTP.

Also, as Petr pointed out, the patches to the darcs.cabal file address
the issue of requiring at least one HTTP library by making HTTP required
if -f-curl is specified.  It's a bit obscure, though and Petr has
suggested what looks like a clearer route out.

Anyway, I'll apply this bundle tomorrow if nobody submits a better
solution (or if nobody points out any flaws)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9