[darcs-users] darcs patch: Remove support for calling wget/curl on ... (and 2 more)

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:33:35 UTC 2009

Hi Eric.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> Hi Dmitry and Trent,
>
> Dmitry: could you take a quick look at this?  It shouldn't be much
> effort, just making sure I haven't done anything silly.

Hopefully, I would do it today.

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 15:38:00 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> What effect does this actually have?  Does this mean we can build Darcs
>> binaries that have two separate HTTP client libraries linked in?
>
> Yes.  There are some bits (HTTP post, I think) which are only
> implemented with HTTP and not with libcurl.  (A good follow-up question
> is "why"?)

Correct. As to why, I believe the answer is - because no one
implemented it. Now, when when libwww is gone implementing POST with
curl should be easier.

Besides POST, HTTP is used to fetch maintenance info (or how is it
called?) from darcs.net in case of bug. We can not use curl here
because it uses bug itself. I never understood why darcs does this.
IMHO there is little use in this, but it can introduce delays (or bug
inside bug :)) if network connection is slow or mis-configured or
something goes wrong in haskell-http. I would vote for removing it.

>> If so, which one gets used?
>
> My understanding of Darcs.URL is that if we have libcurl, we will just
> libcurl whether or not we have HTTP.

Right, with the two exceptions mentioned above.

Regards,
  Dmitry