[darcs-users] maintenance file for bugs

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Mar 15 18:10:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:33:35 +0100, Dmitry Kurochkin wrote:
> Besides POST, HTTP is used to fetch maintenance info (or how is it
> called?) from darcs.net in case of bug. We can not use curl here
> because it uses bug itself. I never understood why darcs does this.
> IMHO there is little use in this, but it can introduce delays (or bug
> inside bug :)) if network connection is slow or mis-configured or
> something goes wrong in haskell-http. I would vote for removing it.

Interesting thought.

Here's the URL for the maintenance file:
  http://www.darcs.net/maintenance

And the current contents:

2.2.0rc1
"This is a release candidate version of darcs.\nYou can check to see if this bug is already known at http://bugs.darcs.net/\nIf it is not, please report this to bugs at darcs.net\nIf possible include the output of 'darcs --exact-version'."
2.2.0pre
"This is a prerelease version of darcs.\nYou can check to see if this bug is already known at http://bugs.darcs.net/\nIf it is not, please report this to bugs at darcs.net\nIf possible include the output of 'darcs --exact-version'."
pre
"This is an old prerelease version of darcs.\nPlease do not report this to bugs at darcs.net"
rc
"This is an old release-candidate version of darcs.\nPlease do not report this to bugs at darcs.net"
.
"You can check to see if this bug is already known at http://bugs.darcs.net/\nIf it is not, please report this to bugs at darcs.net\nIf possible include the output of 'darcs --exact-version'."

As I understand in, before we introduced this mechanism, darcs would
systematically tell you to report bugs to bugs at darcs.net.  I guess somewhere
along the way, we must have gotten fed up with reports based on older
pre-releases and release candidates, so we introduced a small phone-home
feature that darcs can use to see if users should report the error or not.
This mechanism is pretty flexible.  We could, for example, check for a
particular version and tell the user the workaround for a particular
bug affecting just that version.

But Dmitry is also right that this mechanism has problems of its own,
particularly the circular imports.