[darcs-users] should darcs use the curl binding on hackage?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Mar 16 08:34:27 UTC 2009

I'm CC'ing Sigbjorn (the current maintainer of the curl package on hackage) in
case he has any comments on the matter.

Sigbjorn: darcs currently uses its own binding on libcurl.  We're quite
interested in paring darcs down as much as possible, outsourcing anything that
doesn't need to be done in-house.  We might be interested in using the curl
binding.  Do you think it would be straightforward to address concerns below?

Many thanks!

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:09:12 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> While we're on the subject, has anyone evaluated using external
> haskell/curl bindings?
>
> $ cabal list curl
> * curl
>     Synopsis: Haskell binding to libcurl
>     Latest version available: 1.3.4
>     Latest version installed: [ Not installed ]
>     License:  BSD3

I think Dmitry has pointed out that the current bindings do not support
HTTP pipelining.

Also for his work on camp, Ian is avoiding it because of the following
concerns he has about it

 * Hardcoded constants
 * Explicit global withCurlDo, but individual instances get finalisers which
   thus may not run before global cleanup?
 * -fvia-C in options pragmas, including generating warnings from the mangler

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9