[darcs-users] darcs patch: make rollback smarter about breaking up ... (and 5 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Mar 16 18:22:17 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

Reinier: would you be interested in reviewing any of the patches below?  Note
that one of these patches fixes issue1255.

Everybody:

Here are some patches I've pulled from David's fork of darcs, with thanks for
his making us feel welcome to do so (I checked).

  darcs get http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~roundyd/code/darcs

There's some interesting stuff going on in that repository which might be good
to look into later on.  David has simplified the testing infrastructure a
little bit, and seems to be moving towards using Steven Hick's shsh to run the
tests.  In fact, I think maybe he's already gotten this working :-)

Here is what I think is an example of the kind of thing that makes me like
using darcs: the fact that we can do this fairly easily, cherry picking patches
from each other's forks (so, thanks for darcs, David!).  On the other hand,
there's situations which darcs may not handle so well, such as conflicts
between any of David's patches that decabalise darcs, and ours that
disenchfranchise it.  Until we have something like a good darcs transplant
command, it would be a good idea for us to be mindful about not creating
patches that affect the Cabal files and the core source code at the same time.
This will make it easier for us to send patches David's way (if we ever fix
something important), or for him to pull any of our patches if he should feel
so inclined.

Anywhere, here are some patches which look pretty easy for us to apply.

Sat Nov 15 21:22:55 GMT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * make rollback smarter about breaking up changes.

Sat Feb 14 21:46:40 GMT 2009  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * fix bug in put of darcs-1 format repositories.

Mon Nov 17 15:59:10 GMT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * use exitWith under record, when no patches are selected (to not run posthook).

Tue Dec  9 15:58:10 GMT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * eliminate gratuitous use of Reader monad in Printer.

Tue Dec  9 16:48:12 GMT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * cut confusing use of the Reader monad from Printer.

Tue Dec  9 18:05:47 GMT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * clean up Depends a wee tad