[darcs-users] Benchmarking "get"

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Mon Mar 16 20:16:54 UTC 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Of complex merges, which as has been pointed out here recently many,
> perhaps most, Darcs users have learned to avoid.  And most of the
> power of Darcs seems to be in the fact that "patches that touch
> disjoint sets of files always commute".  But git handles such merges
> effortlessly too, and blindingly quickly.

With darcs-2 repos I've yet to see any merges that have given me
trouble. Certainly I'm not exactly trying to cause bad merges, but I'm
also not explicitly avoiding them as I might have tried (but to be
honest, never really made it a habit) to avoid in darcs 1 repos.

At the moment, I've yet to see anyone post a bad example of a darcs-2
conflict fight. The conflict issues may not yet be finally and truly
solved, but it is important to repeat that progress has been made (and
is continuing to happen). A lot of people are still being told to avoid
darcs because of the conflicts situation and the community does need to
trumpet the importance of darcs-2 format repositories.  At least darcs-2
is now the default format.

> But pretending that Darcs workflows are handling problems of the
> complexity of the Linux kernel workflow is not doing git justice,
> either.

I explicitly tied things to my own anecdotal workflows.  It doesn't
matter to me if it works well at the super-huge repository level if its
a pain in the ass to use day to day. You might be comfortable scripting
git's bizarre arcana of spells in emacs. To me it is a magpie's nest of
undecipherable gibberish. Worse, it is a collection of "brilliant speed
hacks" that don't quite work in a Windows environment, and are
ultimately much, much slower in Windows, when not prone to bizarre
failures. Now the Linux kernel hackers might not see Windows as an
important development platform, but there's a whole lot of other people
out there, including myself, doing daily development on Windows boxen.

As a more-often-than-not Windows developer, it seems to me that much of
git's performance is at best inconsistent (contrary to git fanatics'
claims of superior performance to every SCS ever in all cases) and at
worst prone to breaking at an inopportune moment.  The git team
certainly doesn't seem to care if the linux kernel is the only kernel
that git will ever truly run correctly on. That's fine for git, but
every time someone tells me I'm stupidly championing darcs and should
immediately switch to git I feel like bashing my head against a wall.

Furthermore, the last few benchmarks I've seen seem to be showing a
trend that Mercurial is besting git in the performance department and hg
is _strongly_ cross-platform. Best of all, the Mercurial fans I've met
are mostly humble.

Maybe darcs should team up with Mercurial for an soft spoken, big stick
anti-git marketing campaign... Perhaps "Use a DVCS that cares for your
sanity."

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but git does nothing but frustrate me it
seems. I don't like working with git and the vocal, abusive love-affair
its fans have with it doesn't help my outlook of git.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net